Vital Records

Costs and Fees Effective June 1, 2017
These Figures Overide any other printed material in the Website
  First Copy Additional
Birth Records
Marriage License
Civil Union License
Search Fee
Notary by Mail
DBA Changes
Tax Redemption Fee

The Clerk is the Local Registrar for all births, marriages and deaths occuring within the County.

Each year the clerk records approximately 700 vital records and issues approximately 250 marriage licenses.

The Clerk provides same day issuance of certifications of all vital records to qualified applicants. The birth and death records date back to 1878 and our marriages date back to 1839.

The Clerk’s office will only have the vital records on file for events that occur within the County.  If you reside within Christian County but your child was born at a hospital in Springfield or Decatur, your child’s record will be on file in Sangamon or Macon county.  All vital records for events from 1916 and forward are also on file with the State Department of Public Health’s Division of Vital Records.  For general information on the availability of records and for frequently asked questions, click below on the link to the State’s website.

State of Illinois Vital Records

Illinois Birth Records


Marriage and Civil Union Licenses
As of June 1, 2014 the Christian County Clerk is issuing same sex marriage licenses and the option to convert an existing Civil Union License on file in Christian County to a Marriage License.  The application fee for a marriage license remains $75 cash at this time.  There is no charge for the conversion of an existing Christian County Civil Union to a marriage license if done prior to June 1, 2015.  If you have further questions regarding the implementation of the Religious Freedom and Marriage Equality Act please call the Clerk’s Office at 217/824-4969 Monday through Friday from 8:00 A.m. through 4:00 p.m.
The County Clerk’s Office now offiers for your convenience an online application for either a Marriage License or a Civil Union License.   Applicants complete all necessary information online and then submit their application for review.  Both parties must still appear in person to pay the fees and sign the applications and provide all necessary identification and supporting documentation.  Click on the link below to complete and then submit your application for either a marriage license or a civil union license.

LINK: Obtaining a Marriage License in Christian County

All Forms & Applications Are Listed Below


The Christian County Clerk’s Office will only release certified copies or certifications of vital records, upon written request, to individuals who are authorized or entitled to receive them.  To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law.  Vital records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.

NOTE: Any person who, willfully and knowingly uses or attempts to use, or furnishes to another to use, for any purpose of deception, any certificate, record, report, or certified copy thereof so made, altered, amended, or mutilated; or Any person who with the intention to deceive, willfully uses or attempts to use any certificate of birth or certified copy of a record of birth knowing that such certificate or certified copy was issued upon a record that is false in whole or in part or that relates to the birth of another person, is guilty of a Class 4 felony in the State of Illinois.


Before a request for a certification or certified copy can be considered, you must specify your eligibility to obtain it.  Illinois law states that certifications or certified copies of birth records may be issued only as listed below:

  • Upon the specific written request for a certification or certified copy by the person whose record is requested, if of legal age (18 or older); or by a parent, if listed on the birth record; or by a legal guardian, with proof of guardianship; or other legal representative of the person to whom the record relates, with notarized proof of authority; or
  • Upon specific written request for a certification by a department of the state, a municipal corporation, or the federal government.  This request must be presented on an official letterhead and with proper identification of the individual making the request.  All of the regular requirements would still apply; or
  • Upon the order of a court of record.

If you are eligible, please indicate on the application your relationship to the person registered AND your intended use of the copy.  Return the application to our office with the appropriate fees and proof of identification and eligibility.  If you are mailing this request to us, you must attach a CLEAR photocopy of either a state issued ID or driver’s license and any documentation (if needed) as proof of eligibility.  We will mail the record directly to you at your home address, as indicated on your proof of identification.  We will not forward the record to a third party.  Nor will we mail it to any address other  than that indicated on your I.D. unless a clear explanation of why this is necessary is provided in your request.

This office will release a birth record to your current spouse provided the following conditions are met.  A written authorization (from the party whose record is to be issued) specifying that they are sending their current spouse to retrieve the record is to be sent with them.  Along with that authorization, they must send a photocopy of their current driver’s license or state issued ID as proof that they are indeed making the request.

You must complete an application, provide proof of identity and pay the appropriate fees.  The marriage application is only open to the Bride & Groom.

Government Agencies:  We will provide verification a record is on file.  We will provide the VA with Death records if a written request on their letterhead is made stating the record is needed to allocate benefits.  All other requests for certifications should be submitted to the Illinois Department of Vital Records.

Our office issues certifications of Births & Marriages and certified photocopies of Death records.  If you need a certified photocopy of a Birth or a Marriage record, you will need to specify why a certification is not sufficient  for your needs.  Both are recognized by law as certified sealed records.


This office will issue these copies for genealogical purposes.  We will not do a search for a genealogical copy.  The indexes (for all vital records on file prior to 1916) are open to the public.  All searches after 1916 must be done by our staff.  The fee for this copy is $5 for the first copy of a record and $2 for any additional copies of the same record.  All genealogical copies will be clearly marked with a “Genealogical Purposes Only” stamp.  To be eligible for this discount, you must be a current member in good standing with either an historical or genealogical society.  Proof of this membership as well as proof of the requestor’s identity must accompany any request for these white copies.

 In order to receive a non-certified birth record, the record must have been on file for at least 75 years.  If the record has been on file for less than 100 years, and the person is now deceased, you must complete a separate application (SP5919B) and provide us with proof of their death.  If the record has been on file for 100 years or more, we do not require proof of death, but you must still complete the special application. 

These records must be on file for at least 20 years prior to request.  You must complete the application, provide proof of current membership, provide proof of your identity and pay the appropriate fees.

*** If a record is searched, but not located, we will charge the search fee of $10 per record. ***

Click below on the appropriate form or Application for print-out (PDF)


Illinois Department of Public Health    







Click Here for Link to Illinois E-pay site for Electronic Payment and Faxed Requests for Vital Records














Current Election Details
Voter Registration
Early Voting
Absentee Voting
Grace Period
Military & Overseas Voters
Christian County Polling Places
Vital Records
Recordings and Fees
Freedom of Information Act
County Board Minutes
Other Clerk/Recorder Services
Accounting Functions
Property Tax Rate Extension